JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

NO spark. Installed new coil, new spark plug, set air gap to

Customer Question

NO spark. Installed new coil, new spark plug, set air gap to .012. Disconnected kill switch wire. Even turned engine over with power drill. No spark to plug.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It has a build date of 2005 but has had minimal use as it was in storage for several years.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Its got me puzzled. New everything, gapped to specs.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Bad magnets under flywheel.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
What engine is this?
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Make sure flywheel is clean and rust free. With a new coil and wire off, it should be firing as you are aware. Either you got a Faulty coil, or there is a wiring issue. Can you put fuel into the cylinder and see if it has fire briefly?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The flywheel is clean I can put raw fuel into the carburetor there is no spark at all to the plug it is a brand new coil that I paid $70 for. I have installed a new plug. I have disconnected the kill switch wire from the coil, I have gapped the air gap at 12 thousands of an inch.