Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Engine running rough fuel filter does not show fuel took off

Customer Question

engine running rough fuel filter does not show fuel took off line and
fuel comes thru when held to ground. how do i check fuel pump to
see if it"s working?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Remove your fuel hose from your carburetor, and place it into a suitable container, to catch your fuel. Turn your key to start position, as you observe your fuel flow. This will help you and me to determine if your fuel pump is pumping fuel to your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked the fuel shut off solenoid on your carburetor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I have to take off some of the shrouding off engine to get to carb? Where is the fuel pump?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

I am back with you.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Your fuel pump is mounted on the side of your engine shroud.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

You should be able to access your carburetor, without removing your shroud.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took hose going from fuel pump to carb but pumps fuel reattached and ran it still runs rough what shoud I do next check
Plugs?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for checking. Checking your spark plugs are a great idea. Also, check your air filter, to see if it needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

If your spark plugs are ok, and your air filter passes your inspection, then it is very likely that your carburetor needs to be cleaned.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i installed new plugs only after 94 hours on engine it seems to be running at full rpm without missing hope all stays good
I appreciate your help I will use again if problems return Thank You very much.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all continues to go well for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.