JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

Gravely zero turn w/Kawasaki 19hp engine will crank and run

Customer Question

gravely zero turn w/Kawasaki 19hp engine will crank and run for about 1 min then flood and run fuel out of carb and onto ground. can turn fuel valve off while running and it will clear up until you turn fuel back on then floods again. can walke
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: about 5 years old maybe and started doing this about 3 months ago. sometimes will run fine and cut grass 2 to 3 times before it does it
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes I have already pulled the carb off have taken it completely apart put it in carb cleaner overnight put it back together after blowing air through all holes and made sue all jets were open and not plugged and made sure the float/ned
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: fuel system is clean as well as a new fuel pump. I am at a loss.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like the needle is not seating in the carb. did you only clean the carb or rebuild it. You may need a rebuild kit to replace the needle and seat so the carb will seal. if you can provide me with the model and spec of engine I can supply you with the part numbers needed

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cleaned it but did not put a kit in it. I did hook it to the fuel line on my atv (which is gravity feed) to make sure the needle and seat were sealing off.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

if the fuel is bypassing the carb, wither the needle and seat are not sealing or the fuel solenoid is not working properly. How was it determined the carb was sealing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
pushed the float up with my finger until the gas quit flowing. I do understand that a fuel pump will put more pressure on the needle and seat rather than a gravity flow system so the way I checked the needle/seat is not fool proof but can the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the bowl be my culprit also and if I just unplug it what will happen
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

I​f you unplug it, it will not work at all. you will need to remove it and have it plugged in, while you turn the key to the on position. let me know if the needle on the fuel solenoid drops inwards when the key is turned on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok will do that this afternoon when I get off and contact you with the results in the morning. I am trying to repair this mower for a friend.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

not a problem.

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.