Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Onan Generator is flashing 3 times and cutting off, and

Customer Question

My Onan Generator is flashing 3 times and cutting off, and will not continue to run. What could be my problem?
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is in a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk Motorhome. Let me get my paper work and see what the model and make is.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have someone using it now and they are in Nashville Tenn. tonight, I may have to find someone up there that can help them.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is a cummings Onan 4KYFA26100p
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the serial number of the genset?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The Serial Number is *****
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

OK, thanks!

We have to be very careful here.

Your unit is still under warranty, and I don't want you to do anything that will void the warranty.

First, how long does it run before it shuts down?

While it is running, is it running smoothly, or is it surging?

When it shuts down, does it just shut down like someone turned it off, or does it start running rough right before it shuts down?

When it shuts down, will it start right back up, or does it have to sit for a while before it will restart?

Now lets go in and see what fault code is set.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked on this yet?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, have you checked on this yet?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Due to your refusal to reply, I will be reporting you as a non-compliant customer.