JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I need help bypassing my parking break safety switch, 1st

Customer Question

i need help bypassing my parking break safety switch
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1st time
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, have been all day
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i have five wires going into the safety switch. which ones do i tie together to bypass the switch and allow my unit to start?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: i can by pass the sylonoid and get the unit to run. i have gas in it. i need to by pass the safety switch i am looking at electrical schematic now.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i need a response
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
anyone out there
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

I​ apologize, but I am not able to instruct on how to bypass a safety device. I can offer some other advice though. If you are jumping the solenoid and the machine is running, moving, and mowing, the brake switch is not your issue, the solenoid is. If you have a bad safety switch, you will not be able to move or mow with the machine.

Send me a little more info on what the issue is, and what has been done to resolve it

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the safety switch intermittently doesnt allow the unit to be started
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it puts up a red parking break light so the unit cant be started.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i can fool the unit by bypassing the solenoid and starting the lawnmower but as soon as i ingage the mower deck it cuts the unit off
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have the wiring diagram from online
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there are five wires going into the selonoid but i dont know which ones to connect. i live 45 minutes from closest dealer and i am sure they wont have a new part tomorrow
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

okay, I understand more now.

I apologize, but rules state I am not allowed to instruct on how to bypass safety equipment. I can help you test the switch though and rule out other switches.

What model machine is this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i replaced the solenoid this spring.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Send a link to the diagram you have currently please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
https://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/7va2j-troybilt-rzt-50-pto-suddenly-stopped-engaging.html
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Your problem will be you have to have a closed circuit for the machine to start, and an open circuit for the machine to operate.

You have 2 brake switches? How many wires for each?

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

to bypass it for testing purposes to allow starting if the switch is defective. Just use a couple short jumper wires to connect the terminals in the harness connector to the switch and install a new switch once you determine which switch is the defective switch

You may need to jump the machine from the solenoid until a new safety switch is obtained though and this can cause a weak solenoid

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there are five wires going into the two switches
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i can jump the solenoid but then it wont let me ingage the mower deck. it kills the unit
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
theres one green, two black and yellow, one yellow, and one yellow and white
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
one circut was the yellow and white with the green
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

you have 5 wires, but should only be 4 prongs on each plug correct

​== wire them across from one another and test to see if the machine will engage

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the second was two yellow and blacks with a yellow
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
k, let me go wire them across each other
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

I have to sign off for the night but I will return at 8am EST. Let me know the results please and we can continue if need be tomorrow.

If it does work, please remember to return to OEM and purchase a new switch ASAP.