JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

How do, I have a craftsman modelwalk behind mower. the drive

Customer Question

how do, I have a craftsman model###-##-####walk behind mower. the drive works great bu will not disengage when you try to pull the mower backward
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: craftsman, model###-##-#### not sure how old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, I've changed the drive belt but now we seem stuck in drive
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've removed and cleaned all the drive wheel assembly.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like your drive gear retainers and/or gears are not working on the wheels properly.

see the link provided for part numbers and pictures of assembly

See #49 and #50 and #51 in list

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/917377790/0247/1500600.html

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
those are the parts i cleaned and re installed, it drives great but does not disengage. the transmission pulley turns even when the drive handle is disengaged. is there any adjustment on belt assembly.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Should be able to adjust the cable that is pulled when the handle is pulled backwards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
umm, there is no cable when the handle is pulled backward, the EZ walk cable is not engaged when pulling the mower backward. Im finding this not very helpful.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is no adjustment turnbuckle on the EZ walk cable, just a pull out knob adjustment under the handlebar
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

In the center of the handle there is the ez walk handle that you pull to make machine go forwards. On some models there is an adjustment on the back side. being as you cannot pull mower backwards, leads me to believe the parts I suggested above are no good. cleaning will not fix the issue. being as I cannot see the machine in action I can only go by previous experience. If the belt is not jammed underneath machine, the cable is not jammed inside housing, the wheel gears, and other parts listed are the only other issue that can cause this

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
well I'm not buying that kettle of fish, ill take it to a local service place. I know the transmission pulley should not be turning when the EZ walk handle is not being engaged,
Thanks for the Tech help.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

You are correct it shouldn't turn when the handle is not engaged, It will however turn if the gears need replaced. Goo Luck and hope you get it repaired.

I will OPT OUT