Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My mower, now just a year old, keeps stopping after short

Customer Question

my mower, now just a year old, keeps stopping after short periods of running ... replacing teh filter worked, but it again stopped after about 15 minutes of use .... taking of the filter cover, taking out the filter and running it ... it runs fine ..... help? i don't think i can operate the unit without a filter or cover long term
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: tb240
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i bought it last year, so maybe 13/14 months ..... depends upon what's needed for the work to be done
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: frustrated that it's got a problem this early in its life
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 days ago.

Will your engine start back up immediately after it shuts off, or do you have to wait for a while?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Beed to wait maybe 2-3 minutes at most
Expert:  Donald replied 9 days ago.

I am back with you.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 days ago.

You and I need to determine if our problem is fuel related, or if it is ignition related. If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, immediately after your engine stops running, to see if your engine will start right back up and run briefly, or if your still have to wait a few minutes before your engine will re-start.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'll need to get some and respond thereafter
Expert:  Donald replied 9 days ago.

No problem. Take your time. This is a troubleshooting procedure, to help you and me determine what is causing our problem.