Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

What happened that my Snapper 28 inch rider? The

Customer Question

What happened that my Snapper 28 inch rider? The transmission won't "lock up" with the shifter in "N" as it used to. It rolls now on grades when the shifter is in "N" and I have a lot of steep grades in my yard.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I sent it to the shop a year ago for a problem with loss of pulling ability on grades and it came back with this problem. The shop insists that this mower is not supposed to 'lock up' in "N". Every Snapper rider I've ever had locked up in "N."
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer:(###) ###-####VE (7800104). Used to be that in order to roll the mower forward or back with the engine off, I had to move the shifter to a place between "N" and "1" but it rolls freely in "N" now. Probably five years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm ok with ignoring it as I'll be moving where the landscape is flat and there's no danger of it rolling on a grade except for using the brake/clutch.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I read on the Nets that there's a smaller, chain-drive that drives the clutch-drive disk and the problem is probably in there.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 11 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Expert:  Vince O. replied 10 days ago.

H​ello, could be something simple. The speed selector guide is slotted and adjustable(#9) Loosen the 2 bolts and slide the guide so the ROLL is where the N is and try.