Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Chinese replica generator that kicks back out of

I have a Chinese replica generator that kicks back out of the carb when you try to start. I tried adjusting the valves, opened it up and made sure it's closing, took muffler off and can feel air being pushed out of exhaust. Cleaned the carb, took off the wheel and checked the woodcuff key, getting spark on new spark plug... not sure what else it could be. It tries to start and then kicks.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you.

It sounds like the ignition timing is too far advanced, check the timing and the dwell angle.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It could be it. How do I adjust it?

Hi

Turn it anti clock wise to retard timing.

Have you got a timing light to get it spot on.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't have a timing light. How many times should I turn it. When I turn it clockwise if there is a spark plug in it gets tight at a point after a couple of turns like a magnet is holding it and then passes and turns again a couple of times and same cycle. It doesn't do that and just turns freely when the spark plug is out. Does that mean anything.

Hi with the engine running turn distributor anti clock wise 15mm.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm confused. The engine doesn't start. Where is the part I have to turn?

Hi

I think we are talking at cross purposes.

Sorry i will opt out.

c​heck the flywheel keyway to make sure it has not sheared.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Was the goove on the flywheel lined up with the key way? Keyway looks good
What did you adjust the valves to? Where did you get the settings at?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I took it off and put the flywheel groove over the key and tried. Had the same result. When I took it off, they were still lined up.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is that normal when it gets tight in cycles when there is a spark plug in it but not with spark plug removed?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
tried the valves at .004 and .006
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Yes if there is no spark plug in it should turn easily . When the plug is in it builds compression . Do you have access to a compression tester ? Getting a compression reading will help figure out what's going on.
One common problem with these engines I'd the camshaft as well which can throw off the timing of the valves
You can check the clearance if the coil by comply getting a business card and loosen the coil . Turn the flywheel to where the magnet faces the coil drawing it to the flywheel . Place the business card between the coil and flywheel and let the magnets pull the coil to it with the business card between them , then tighten the coil down , turn the flywheel and remove the business card and it should be gapped properly
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I had done that, but I will try it again since I took the flywheel off to check the keyway. When I was checking for a spark I noticed that it only sparks when I turn it counter clockwise but not clockwise. Does that sound right? This thing has become sort of a personal challenge for me!

Which way dies the starter turn the flywheel ? It should be clockwise . You have eliminated most if not all of the common problems with these engines , a spark tester would tell you if your getting good spark and getting a reading on how much compression it has will tell us a lot

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The starter turns is clockwise. Is clockwise when I'm suppose to get a spark? If so then the ignition could must be upside down bc it only spark when I turn the wheel counterclockwise.

Yes , it should get spark turning clockwise .

Was the coil removed at any point ?

Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience: over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
When I took it off to check woodcuff and the first time I checked spacing. I must have put it on upside down.