Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 18 hp Briggs and Stratton vanguard motor. I cannot

Customer Question

I have a 18 hp Briggs and Stratton vanguard motor. I cannot get fuel from my tank to fuel filter. I blew air through the line and I know it's not plugged.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just bought the mower last night !
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a 2002 simplicity conquest
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I changed the fuel pump already too.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi I have a vacuum style fuel pump on my 18hp Briggs and Stratton motor. I cannot get it to pull fuel from the tank.

The tank has a suction tube, that comes out of the top of the tank, this tube, and hose and filter, all to the fuel pump, have to be vacuum tight. If there is a loss of vacuum, the pump can not suck the fuel. This suction side of the fuel system needs to be checked with a hand held vacuum pump or similar tool.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I will start there thank you!

You can check each section by holding it in hand and sucking on the hose or tube and holding finger over other end,

I see question is still open, did you see my response? Please rate to close the question and get me credit!