Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Deere Gator 4x4 HPX is dead. Battery and cables have been

Customer Question

My John Deere Gator 4x4 HPX is dead. Battery and cables have been cleaned and fully charged all fuses check as ok but turn the key and nothing ..the dash doesn't even light up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Follow the red wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. try jumping the solenoid by placing a screw driver on both poles together and see if machine will turn over. Make sure to engage parking brake and have key turned on. If it turns over, the solenoid is bad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It doesn't matter that when I turn the key on no lights come on the dash panel
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It doesn't matter that when I turn the key on no lights come on the dash panel?
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

ah okay. one moments please. let me view the schematics of the machine. there is most likely a relay inline that is causing this issue, but let me track it down

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

negative terminal from the battery clean and grounded good and tight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
both terminals and cables cleaned and replaced good and tight
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

I am not seeing anything listed. I have the troubleshooting manual open and it states pretty much everything you have done already. Not sure if you have this so I will include a link for you if you ever need it

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM136969_L0/Output/OMM136969_L013.html

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

I will OPT OUT and see if another expert may have some better info for you than myself

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Indicator lights do not come on when key switch is in "START" position

· Faulty bulb.

· Faulty wiring.

· Faulty sensor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks .... awaiting next Tech response
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Did you find problem? With no dash and nothing at keyswitch, Deere s known to use a fusible link, at be starter negative cable, if it is blown, you get no voltage to the dash or key. Look around starter area for what looks like a round fuse , soldered in a wire for ground. Check it with volt/ohmmeter for continuity or use a jumper wire around it, to test.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 30 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem? Are you using a voltmeter or test light to see where you have voltage?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Sorry Curtis, the rain has quit and I'm outside with it the only thing I see that looks like a fuse has continuity. Sending you a pic of what I've found ....is this it?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Can I call you for inst.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

OK< it may just be a connection, do you have voltage to either or both sides? Also the wire to the right, is also yellow to black, check all for continuity and voltage. With dash not lighting up there has to be a break at power wire form starter or from fuse block to keyswitch/dash. Power comes from the posiitve battery terminal on the starter solenoid, back to the fuse panel, to key and dash.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have replaced the fuse panel a couple of years ago. It got hot and started to melt. Recently while riding it will shut off and I can reach over wiggle the fuse panel and it would restart. What are your thoughts about mabey a wire comming or burning loose?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

Very good possibility, if there is power to the fuse panel, and nothing out, very good chance there is a bad wire or connection there.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I'll check in the am fixing to get cleaned up for a dinner party.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

OK>