Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 2001 5500 generator with 550 total hrs. Thru the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 5500 generator with 550 total hrs. Thru the course of all these yrs I have had a continual problem that goes unresolved. I can start the generator and it may run 15-20 minutes and quit. If I try to start it immediately it will not stay running. If I wait 15 min it will start and run for hrs. I have litterly spent thousands of dollars at many RV shops and no one has resolved the problem. The following items have been replaced. All new fuel line and filter, new carburetor, new engine control module and various tune ups. I have disconnected the oil pressure switch to no avail.
What are your thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model and serial numbers of the genset?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Onan 5500 gold.
Model 5.5hgjar-901a
Ser#j010297486
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Ok.

Your model number will actually be 5.5HGJAB-901A.

We need to see what fault code is stored in the controller.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks hank...
But I think it is best for me to take the unit to a service center..
Thanks for your help..
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

OK.