Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

The engine will start but will stall as soon as it is

Customer Question

The engine will start but will stall as soon as it is loaded. I have cleaned the air intake filter and have carefully examined the intricate carburetor with the tiny springs. One of the springs was hanging with one end loose and looks like the end that was hanging loose may have a piece broken off part of the 180 hook on the end and probably will not stay on. I am afraid that I will loose it if I connect it and tried to run it. Also, a lot of dirt was packed in and around all the little plastic parts that the springs are attached to. I have done a lot of cleaning but I'm not sure every thing will work even if I had a replacement spring!
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes the fuel is clean. The shut off valve is not accessable if the is one. I can not see it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes unless I can find some who would be better the me./
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Did you get the descrioption of the broken spring I do not dare loose?

I have to add some more information to my first question about the springs and complicated plactic parts which seem to be part o a complicated carberator (I Think). Ther are two stif wires also poking into this mechanical maze. One is a throttle input to this mechanism and the other is a choke control (I Thinnk) but what I know for sure is the driver of the Lawn more has no manual input to these. (The are available to the driver in some models according to the manual, but my model doesnot have a manual input to either. Both are automatically adjusted. Therefore the it is an automatic choke and automatic speed control. The driver has a clutch and a gear setting controller but it up to all of these spring and rotating plastic parts to get the the engine up to the required speed by automatically setting gas vapor flow and choke setting. I need a good picture or a diagram to guide me if I have to make adjustments.

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

H​ello, more info is needed before I can help you. Is it a mower?, a tiller? Make and model number?