Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Have a 2006 camper with onan microquiet 4000 that runs ac

Customer Question
continuous if under 85 degrees...
Have a 2006 camper with onan microquiet 4000 that runs ac continuous if under 85 degrees then temp gets to 90 degrees or higher, it runs about 20 minutes then just shuts off, will start back up but shuts down in 5 minutes
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Fuel tank full an new filter
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I always run with door on camper that covers generator open
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
6/11/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 5 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset?
Model#. 4kyfa26100k. S/n. H050812929. Thanks Hank

What fault code is set in the controller?

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

The code was 33 then it would wait an repeated again
Sorry, went back an check the second as three an thirty three are not codes it was 13. I only run air conditioner alone for power nothing else is on

OK.

Code 13 is Under Voltage. It means that the output of the genset is dropping below a certain set point.

What you need to do here is to start the genset, and connect a voltmeter to a receptacle inside the coach. How much voltage is it showing with nothing on?

Now turn on the A/C. How far does the voltage drop to before it shuts down?

Turn off the A/C, and wait 5 minutes.

Now set your meter to read frequency, and start the genset.

What frequency reading do you get with no load on it?

Now turn on the A/C.

What frequency does it drop to before the genset shuts down?

Finally tested generator with no load it show 115.4 to 116.1 Turned on air conditioner it dropped to 112.2 to 112.9 what can I do to get more volts continuous at 120. Unit will keep running know cause we are 70 degrees an not to get warm for awhile

I need to know what the frequency reading is.

Did you get the frequency reading yet?

Taken to a Onan dealer. Thanks for input

Ok

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician