Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

I have a older Cub Cadet Model 2146 with a OMV engine.

Customer Question

I have a older Cub Cadet Model 2146 with a OMV engine. Started it up this spring and runs great until about 2 minutes after I engage the PTO. Engine kills. I can keep it running if I disengage PTO and lower throttle. I have cleaned the carburetor with no change. Stumped.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I don't know if I have a shut off or not. I drained the tank in the fall and filled if with new gas. The filter looks OK.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to because I would have to rent a flat bed trailer to get it to a shop
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just appears that everything runs fine but when I give it full throttle she starts to run bad and shuts right down. Then I can bring the throttle back down and she starts with no problem and runs fine.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

Where the fuel comes out of the fuel tank you have a screen there or a fuel filter inline that is clogged. You are not getting enough fuel to the engine to get to the higher loads and rpms.

Follow the fuel line from carburetor to the fuel tank and clean or replace any inline filter. If there is a fitting on bottom tank then remove it and see if there is a plastic screen on it that can be cleaned or replaced.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"