Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Myjohndeer445 is blinking a code at me 2long and one short,

Customer Question
myjohndeer445 is blinking a...
myjohndeer445 is blinking a code at me 2long and one short
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: the lable is gone from the frame .is there any where else I can find the nos.
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes .I ran a small engine shop for years and retired but still fix mowers for freinds
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes the tractor has a 22hp kawasaki
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/16/2017
Technician: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today. Please bear with me for just a min while I form my reply to you.

2-1 is a Neutral Violation

This code can occur under the following conditions:

1. Motion control levers are not in the NEUTRAL position during an attempted start.

NOTE: The engine will be disabled if the following occurs:

2. The park brake is applied with the motion control levers out of the neutral position. The engine will stop.

Return the key to the OFF or RUN position.

Diagnostic Test Mode Codes (With Machine OFF)

The diagnostic test mode is used to check the integrity of the switches, sensors, wiring, and hardware of the control module. Diagnostic information is generated in the control module and displayed through a flashing code on the diagnostic indicator light.

Before entering the Diagnostic Test Mode, place all switches and controls in the following positions:

• Key switch - RUN

• PTO switch - OFF

• Park brake - DISENGAGED

• Operator seat - NOT OCCUPIED

• Motion control levers - NEUTRAL

• Deck lift switch - RELEASED

• PTO STOP thumb switch - DEPRESSED

Enter the diagnostic test mode by quickly cycling the key switch from OFF to RUN three times. On the third cycle leave the key in the RUN mode.

NOTE: Do not rotate the key past RUN to START mode during these three cycles.

In the test mode, the control module will not permit engine and PTO operation. The control module will automatically exit the test mode if no activity occurs for ten minutes.

Upon entering the Diagnostic Test Mode, the control module will perform an automatic diagnostic check. If there are no problems detected, the display will flash a 1-1 Code.

If a problem is detected, the display will flash one or more codes to indicate which circuit is affected. See the chart below for instructions on how to remove the fault codes detected and achieve a 1-1 code display.

Diagnostic Test Mode Code

Fault Code Description

Action Needed to Remove Unwanted Codes:

3 - 1

Battery Voltage High

Inspect electrical harness for loose connections, specifically the battery positive and negative, the starter, and frame ground (on engine block).

3 - 2

Battery Voltage Low

• Check battery, starter, and ground connections.

• Check charging system connections.

1 - 2

Key Switch in START Position

Place key switch in RUN position.

1 - 3

PTO Switch ON

Turn PTO switch OFF.

1 - 4

Brake Switch ON

Release brake.

1 - 5

Seat Switch DEPRESSED

De-activate seat switch (operator not in seat).

1 - 6

Motion Levers Not in NEUTRAL

Place both levers in NEUTRAL position.

1 - 8

Deck Lift Switch ON

Release the left lever arm button (black) switch.

1 - 9

PTO Stop Switch RELEASED

Depress the right lever arm button (yellow) switch.

2 - 2

Over Temp Switch ON

See the Technical Manual or your John Deere Dealer for additional information.

1 - 1

All is Well

See the chart below for addition diagnostic instructions.

Once the 1-1 Code has been achieved, the following steps should be performed (in any order) to verify the electrical function of each individual switch in the control module system.

• Release the PTO STOP yellow button on the right lever arm. The 1-9 code should flash. Depress the PTO STOP button.

• Turn the key switch to the START position. The 1-2 Code should flash. Return to RUN position.

• Pull the knob to activate the PTO switch. The 1-3 code should flash. Return PTO to OFF position.

• Depress the brake pedal. The 1-4 code should flash. Release the pedal.

• Sit on seat to activate the seat switch. The 1-5 code should flash. Get out of the seat.

• Individually move each motion control lever from the neutral position. The 1-6 code should flash for each lever. Place both levers in the NEUTRAL position.

• Push the black button on the left lever arm to activate the deck lift switch. The 1-8 Code should flash. Release the deck lift button.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated. Rating is the only way the question completes and without rating it is still an active question.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

Joe
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic