Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My wife put 2 stroke/cycle oil in my 2015 yardworks briggs

Customer Question

My wife put 2 stroke/cycle oil in my 2015 yardworks briggs and stratton. Then she put the 4 stroke/cycle in overtop of it. I tried to take out as much oil as possible but there is no drain to these new mowers "Yardwork 725EXI Series" I do not know what to do. Only thing i did was change the spark plug. Is this mower done or can it be fixed?
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: tried to syphon the oil out. pulled it a few times and oil came out through the filter and i mean lots of oil. I am stuck no idea what to do now. simple mistake she made not looking at the type of oil
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Can a small engine tech fix this? I am kind of lost now on what to do because i cannot drain the oil out of this new type of machine...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope...I changed the spark plug, 2 stoke was put in first and then 4 stroke in after... should have only been 4 stroke. oil came out of the filter. Yardworks 725exi 163cc Briggs and Stratton mower. If i can fix it myself i will if not i will bring it to a small engine tech
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

How long did your engine run with the 2 stroke oil in your crankcase?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It didn't it was the first day we were to use it.
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your response. Actually, there is an oil drain plug on your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

It is on the bottom of your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

You can remove your drain plug, and thoroughly drain all of your oil, then refill with the correct engine oil.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

You can use a ratchet and an extension, to remove your drain plug.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no drain on this Mower. It is the new type of B&S Yardworks Mowers that "check and only add.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have you heard of these mowers? I bought it in 2015. I just want to know if this can be fixed. Did my wife putting both kinds of oil in mower ruin it? Would i have to buy a new mower? Can i fix it or should i send it to a Small Engine repair shop?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Yes, I have heard of this type engine. Putting both kinds of oil in your crankcase has not ruined your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

As a last resort, you can tilt your mower to drain the oil.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Anything else i should do?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

After you refill you crankcase with oil, and start your engine, you will notice some smoke coming from your muffler. This is normal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok. anything else to help get the engine started? I had very difficult time obviously to start it. Or is this because it was not started for the winter?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

After you engine run for a few minutes, the smoke will cease.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Could be because it was not started during winter. Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No but i can get some tomorrow.
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Very good! How old is the gas inside your fuel tank?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I put fuel Stabalizer in it in the fall then i filled it up today with new gas
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Ok. After you get your carburetor cleaner, remove your air filter, and spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner, directly into your carburetor. This should cause your engine to start.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

The carburetor cleaner acts as a primer to prime your carburetor ...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok great! thanks. Ive never used it before but i will look it up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks for your help
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome! You can pick up a can at your local Walmart.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think i'l keep my wife away from the mower in the future ! hah have a good evening
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

You too! I do hope all goes well for you and her. Give her another chance.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Donald I am using the carburetor cleaner now. It seems to start the motor for a few seconds then turns off. Any idea ? Should I be more liberal with the cleaner ?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for letting me know your results. If your engine will only run for a few seconds, after it starts up, this means that your carburetor will need to be cleaned.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

There is a simple fix that does work many times. Try this before you consider disassembling, and rebuilding your carburetor. Remove the bowl bolt, and the fuel bowl from your carburetor. Your bowl bolt is your Main Jet. It will have three small holes in it. Use a small wire to clean these holes, and then clean your fuel bowl. Also, run a wire up through the hole in the center of your carburetor, in the area when your bolt screws in.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks!