Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Honda Black Max 7000 Generator. Worked fine and

I have a Honda Black Max 7000
Generator. Worked fine and just stopped producing electricity. I'm getting 9 volts across the brushes. L2 & L1 1.901 volts,R1 and R2. 1.848 volts, and R1 L1 1.892 volts. Is it the windings?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the actual model number of the unit, from the data label?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
VC2X
GCANK(###) ###-####I hope this helps. Thanks.

Those are the numbers of the engine itself.

I need the model number of the genset.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
BM10700 series. If this isn't it where would the number be located?

Yes, that is the number I need.

Make up 2 jumper wires that will attach to the brushes, with a 5A fuse in one of the jumpers.
Connect the fused jumper to the positive (outer) brush and to the positive terminal of a 12V battery.
Connect the other jumper to the negative (inner) brush, but do not connect it to the battery at this time.
Gain access to the exciter wires.
Start the set, and connect the negative jumper to the negative terminal of the battery.
Set your meter to VAC and measure the AC output at the receptacle of the set.

How much voltage do you get?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which is the exciter wire?

Sorry, I forgot to take that part out. Just ignore the exciter wire.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Make two jumper wires. One with a 5 amp fuse. Disconnect brushes, hook up the 5 amp fuse to the outer connection + and connect to a 12 v battery. Start engine then hook up neg brush inner to 12 v battery. Using my volt meter on v D.C. Insert into plug outlets and read voltage. Correct?

No, a genset puts out AC voltage. You need to set the meter to VAC.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll try to do it sometime today and I'll let you know.

Okey dokey.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just hooked everything up. On one outlet 50v on the top 80v on the bottom and the other outlet read 50v on the top and 118v on the bottom.

Is there any chance you can get a couple of good, clear pictures and post them here?

I would like to see inside the end cover of the alternator, as well as a couple good shots of the back of the control panel, so I can see how the receptacles are wired.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let me know if you get the pics

Everything appears to be right, so due to the fact that the genset will not produce power on its own, but does produce power when you jump 12V to the brushes, it means your voltage regulator is bad.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks! I'll try one and let you know how it works out.

OK.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.