Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and small engine diagnostics and repair - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Ive got a deere lx178 that does not start, yes, yes, yes i

Customer Question

ive got a john deere lx178 that does not start
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes i tried starting and it started and quit after a second 3 times. now no start.i have fuel getting to cylinder but no spark i think
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Test for spark with a spark tester or by grounding out the spark plug wire with a screw driver against the engine and crank to look for spark. Let me know. You could have a faulty coil.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tested for spark on both cylinders with a spark tester and did not see any spark
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the clarification. Check for ignition power to power the coils and if okay you could have a failed coil or voltage regulator. Check the coils for excessive rust and corrosion causing a loss of pickup signal. When replacing the coils use a matchbook or business card to set the air gap. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?