Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an exmark lazer hp. Last week the "hydro" belt (which

Customer Question

I have an exmark lazer hp. Last week the "hydro" belt (which is the little belt that wraps around the clutch and not the large main drive belt) broke and I replaced it. As soon as I got back on the mower the battery died. Charged it and it seemed fine. Except every day the battery does. The charging system is fine and all the wires running off the clutch and pto seem ok. Something is killing the battery and I do not know how to troubleshoot it. A new pto is $285 and would like to test my existing one before replacing a part that may not be broken. Thank you for your time.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Exmark 52" lazer hp and about 12-15 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Mower is super clean and we'll maintained. I have been told that when these belts go they tend to damage pto/clutch assembly. The wiring into the clutch seems fine but would like to test it somehow. Was also told that two bare wires touching could short out the system and there was a spot where two wires may have touched. However, they were taped and battery still keeps failing. Also, 4 times the battery has died and only once did it blow a fuse. The 3rd time.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Hoe old is the battery? Have you had battery tested? Do you have a voltmeter to test unit? If electric clutch is driving the blades, it should be ok, and not drawing down the battery.

Charging system is not working, do you have a voltmeter to see if it is working? Battery voltage with engine running, should be over 13 volts. If 12 or less, charging system is not charging battery. If not charging, the electric clutch and other electrical will draw battery down.