Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Used my new Poulan Pro walk behind mower yesterday to trim

Customer Question
grass around trees in yard...
Used my new Poulan Pro walk behind mower yesterday to trim grass around trees in yard. Blade scraped a cut stump under the grass and then started vibrating and would stall in heavier grass that it was previously cutting. Hardware store that sells the mowers said it may not be the shaft - there is another minor part that may be replaced to repair. Recommendation for repair - this is my third Poulan mower. If it can't be fixed at reasonable cost it will be my last. Thanks for your assistance. Don
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, there is fuel. Yesterday was first day I filled it with the gas and oil - brand new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends - if there is a local service technician in/near Allentown PA I would prefer to have them make the repair.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: What else do you need? Mower is basically inoperable at this point.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/12/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 6 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

What is the model or Product number of the machine. Normally located at the rear of the machine. It could be a blade adapter causing the issue

There is no model/product number on mower - Reference Guide just notes it is a Poulan Pro Walk Behind Mower - purchased in fall 2016. If you can't help because of lack of information on specifics for mower, please let me know and I will request a refund and go directly to a lawn repair service in the area. Thank you.
I do not wish to expend any further money on this inquiry. Please process a refund or provide number to call. Thank you.

I would need model or product number to get replacement part info. As far as knowing what the issue is, I would check the blade adapter and tightness, as with most of the new mowers, the blade adapter is designed to shear before the crankshaft can be damaged. What color is your machine and I can pull a model from one here in my shop.

It is all black.
let me look once again for the serial plate - manual states it should be on rear of housing. Give me a few minutes to respond. thanks.

Should be under rear flap for mower. I am going to take a picture of one I have and upload for viewing purposes. I will circle what needs to be checked. Give me a few moments please

You should have a 7/8" blade adapter on this machine. It looks like the one in the link

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/blade-adapter-p-1741515.html

You can view 2 pics on this page. the little blade holder nipples are what breaks off. You will want to check these as they get broken or worn down, and will not hold blade steady and cause it to be off balance.

See #57 in the below link. this is the part you will need if it is damaged

http://www.partstree.com/parts/poulan/mowers-walk-behind-lawn-mower/pr500n21sh-96112013101-poulan-pro-walk-behind-mower-2015-02/frame-engine/

Found it - Model###-##-####01 Is this what you are using?

yes, I had one out in my shop

Okay - what next? Do you order the parts to be shipped to me? If so, what are the costs and timing? Also, I had the same issue with the mower I replaced with the current one - model #*********** Most likely need the same type of parts for that one.

Before parts are ordered I would remove the old one and make sure that is the issue. I cannot order parts, but you can order them online through PARTSTREE.COM (the link I sent) You will want to remove the old part and see if the blade holder nipples are broken or worn any. THEY should be sticking up and nipples going into the blade holes on the sides of the main hole

Okay . Thank you very much. Sorry for my frustration - seemed that each step in this process was costing additional money and I wasn't aware of that from the web page summary. Appreciate the assistance.

I believe the original price is $18 or $24 total. I am unsure of the costs of these.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

FYI - Must pay $6 initially, then another $18 to continue.

Okay, I am unsure of the costs. Customer service would be able to answer any cost questions.

I would check the other mowers you have also though, as they have the same issues and can be fixed for under $10 each if the adapter is the problem. If you need anything else, let me know. Please RATE your experience with me personally, as I am here for you and to provide the most accurate info avail

JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician