Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 15 kw generac gaurdian. I adjusted the voltage down

Customer Question

Hi pearl, I have a 15 kw generac gaurdian. I adjusted the voltage down to 240 and I thought I had the problem solved but as I started putting a load on the system when I got to about 20% of capacity I started getting voltage spikes up to 280 volts. This is the first and most critical issue. I'm also getting 4 flashing red leds indicating exerciser not set. What do you think?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I've already explained the generator runs fine. the problem is voltage spikes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I have a model #(###) ###-####serial #3838010.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

First, to get rid of the flashing lights, simply set the exercise timer.

For the voltage issue, the first thing I need you to do is to connect a frequency meter to the output of the genset, and measure the frequency.

What reading do you get?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi hank, when you say frequency are you referring to hertz? My concern is the voltage spikes. I set the regulator at 230 v. and as I loaded the generator voltage drop occurred with each additional load until it got down to about 220v. then the regulator kicked the voltage up but it became eratic and spiked as hi as 280v. and I tried hitting the exerciser toggle switch and it didn't do anything .
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Voltage and frequency go hand-in-hand. I need to know what the frequency is doing.

To set the exercise, you can't just push the switch. The unit must be in AUTO, and you push and hold the switch until the genset starts. When it does start, do NOT shut it off. You must let it run a complete cycle and let it shut itself off. This will take about 12 minutes.