Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Boy that was quick. 6 year old very well dealer maintained

Customer Question

Boy that was quick. 6 year old very well dealer maintained give us a fit. Snapper riding smallest one will start like it should when cold. Will cut like a champ for about forty minutes all at medium slow #2 speed. After the mowing for about this period of time it sputters and dies. Will not start until cooled. Then it starts again and will run maybe fifteen minutes and stops same way again. I've been in the shop three times. I doubt they test mow long enough to make it fail. What say ye?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Are you reading carefully?
JA: No. I'm the Small Engine Technician's Assistant.
Customer: Well I have been in the shop three times. The problem and running pattern is in my message.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No I am a mechanic but now 81 years young.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing that (we) can think of that has not be checked. I like to think this shop is first rate. Been dealing with them for many many years.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Briggs engine? Do you have spark at the plug when it quits? No spark, the coil is failing when hot, and will work again after it cools. Replace the coil and it will work!