Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

2 week old Cummins Onan QG 5500 watt gasoline generator

Customer Question

2 week old Cummins Onan QG 5500 watt gasoline generator installed on 2016 Ford Transit Cargo Van (Food Truck). Following a weekend of heavy use, I started the generator the following Monday and there was an excessive amount of white smoke along with the smell of gasoline. After running it for a couple minutes the smoke stopped, however when I started it again same thing. Could it be bad fuel? The van and generator share the same fuel and the van runs fine. The fuel is maybe 4 days old. According to "google" the issue could be anything from bad fuel to international espionage. Before I take it to a local certified technician and miss a full day of work - any quick tips? Fuel additives, etc I should try?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

White smoke is normally a sign of burning oil. For some reason, you are getting oil into the cylinders. This my be due to a bad valve stem seal, or the crankcase being overfull.

Check the oil level and smell the oil. If it is extremely overfull, and/or it smells like gas, you likely have a carburetor issue.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?