Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Deere z425 with a Briggs and Stratton v twin

Customer Question

I have a John Deere z425 with a Briggs and Stratton v twin engine. Won't start so I replaced the solenoid. After that it started after letting run for 2 minutes it blew both 20 amp fuses. Now after replacing fuses it won't turn over at all. The key goes on with the hour display and if I turn the key and hold it one of the fuses blow. Tried looking for a frayed wire no luck. When I take a screw driver and send power directly to starter it turns and won't start. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What was original problem, that you replaced the solenoid? There is an electric fuel solenoid at carburetor, that can be shorted out. And the voltage regulator could cause short. And as for having nothing now, use voltmeter or test light to check the fuse holders, as they can melt and not make the connection when new fuse is plugged in.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Turn the key and it wouldn't turn over.

Was fuse blown ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not originally. After solenoid was replaced it started and then I let it warm up for 2 minutes. I then came back outside it wasn't running and two fuse were blown. I replaced the fuses. Then when I turn key on fuses didn't blow and it wouldn't turn over. If I turn the key and hold it one fuse will blow

Fuse holder may be melted and now no power to key. That would keep keyswitch from getting voltage. Then test fuel solenoid for short, and voltage regulator. You can test by unplugging them one at a time to isolate short. Also go back to the solenid and check it. You have already tested solenoid and starter, by jumping solnoid, but could wiring be wrong at solenoid? Wire to fuse has to be on the positive battery cable terminal at solenoid, and nothing but starter cable on opposite cable connection.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The key gets power when I replace fuse then blow the fuse when I turn key. To test the fuel selenoid is there a wire to unplug? Is that by the carberator ? Also where would the voltage regulator be located?

Fuel solenoid is at the carburetor base, voltage regulator is on the external engine shroud, toward the side of engine. see links below. Red wire with square box, below it, regulator. Second picture shoe the fuel solenid, yours will be similar, below the air cleaner,.

fuel solenoid

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll get more fuse and test today. I'll let you know later. Thanks!

OK>

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried whatbyou said and keeps blowing fuses. I then pulled the purple wire that clips onto the top part of solenoid. I turned key and it did not blow fuse. I then followed purple wire it goes to the one of the control arms that steer the zero turn. I unplugged that wire harness and plugged purple wire back onto solenoid. Turn key and it won't blow the fuse. But it also won't turn over.

Arm switch will keep starter from being engaged. Do you have volt/ohm meter to check the fuel solenoid for being shorted to ground?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I don't. I can get one and how do I do that? I know there was a black wire plugged into fuel solenoid.

meter about $10 at retail or auto supply, less at Harbor Freight. Meter will have instruction, but set meter on ohs. touch leads together to see how meter works when leads are connected (continuity) . The use back lead to the body of the fuel solenoid, , red lead to the wire connections, there should be no continuity between the two . If there is , the fuel solenoid is shorted out, and needs to be replaced.

let me know, we can go from here.