Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I can not get my new toro self propelled mower started & s

Customer Question

I can not get my new toro self propelled mower started b & s ready start 725 engine has spart not getting gas
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: gas is clear and new shut off valve open spark plug has spark
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am formiliar with primed and choked starting engines but not this type.what steps do I follow to check out
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The redi start has an auto choke feature, which should close the choke butterfly on cranking. It may be sticking. If it were mine, I would remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder, re-install spar plug and see if it will start. If not, I would return it where it came from!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First thing i did curtis...got ignition right away...;ran about 2 seconds ... Is briggs still using the same old fuel pump set up..I do to do to much p.s. I primed the cylinder a few times and got the same response.

May have stuck float in carburetor, There is no fuel pump on this model. just gravity flow.