Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I think I'm missing a part on my Briggs & Stratton 28R707

Customer Question

I think I'm missing a part on my Briggs & Stratton 28R707 series 1140-E1
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since yesterday..I have pictures of what I think fell off.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: need to know what part I need to order
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Attach the picture using paperclip or tree icon, near typing bar. What does it look like, part of throttle? has paperclip end?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am I missing a spring or something between the circled parts? Did you get the pics?

That is all there is , the throttle when pushed to choke, comes up and pushes the paperclip end, which is the choke link. See the picture below.

Did you get the picture ? Nothing missing!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was mowing and all of a sudden the mower wanted to die and the blades started to rotate slowly. I tried turning up moving the throttle but it didn't seem to do much. When I disengaged the blades the engine would reve back up. Also, when going down hill the blades would turn fsster. I also tried different speeds but it wouldn't react while the blades were engaged. What do you think it may be?

Does the carburetor have electric solenoid in it's base? If it does the voltage is dropping, and this solenoid is blocking the fuel passage to cylinder. Charging system may not be keeping up, or battery may be dieing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I don't think so. See pics
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fuel filter? Would either of the belts cause this?

No solenoid! So it can't be that. Are blades driven by electric clutch or manually engaged?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Manual

With engine off, engage the blade lever and see if the deck belt is tight. It should not change when engine is running, it should always be tight when engaged.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'd say it's pretty tight. I tried a few different levels to cut grass at and belt tightness stayed the same.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Curtis I'm going to hit the sack. Maybe we can attack this tomorrow around lunch time or late afternoon. I got to get up early and go to work. Thanks for all your ideas so far! John

OK> You could have something in fuel tank , blocking the hose out of tank, t carburetor, restricting the fuel flow, enough to cut the power down, but not kill engine. With gravity flow , it does not take much to restrict fuel flow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Curtis, sorry but been down in the back this last werk..went out to work on the mower and I think I found the problem. I believe it's the throttle shaft that goes in the carb. It keeps wanting to pop out and/or won't hold a position when the engine is runninng. I beleive it's broken. I looked in my owners manual and it's part #494379.
Do you know where I can get instructions or a video on how to replace it.

The throttle flap has two screws that hod it to the shaft, you remove the two screws, and the throttle shaft then will pull out the top. Al that holds it is the flap in the inner throat See link below, I find no video.

parts list below