Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

My whole house generator makes a thumping sound when trying

Customer Question

my whole house generator makes a thumping sound when trying to start , It sounds like bad place on the starter armature . The battery show 13 volts and
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: my whole house generator makes a thumping noise when it trys to start. sounds like i have a bad spot on the starter it runs on natural gas.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if not to complicated for a man with MD battery show 13 volts on my meter
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of ....tks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model and serial numbers of the genset?

Can you describe this noise in a little more detail?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the serial no. is(###) ###-####...model and serial no. on a label on the floor of the generator is ...model no. 01768 and serial no. is(###) ###-#### The battery is fully charged to 13 volts.....tks Tom
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

What is the brand of the genset?

Can you describe this noise in a bit more detail?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my gen is briggs and straten with the name of Vangard on the exterior cabinet.....when I try to manually start the gen using the manual switch it just thumps as if it wants to start....it does not turn over or make any rotation of the fan. Remember it is fueled by natural gas. It did not start at the preprogramed time and it made the same trying to start thump as it did when I tried to start it manually. The sound it makes sounds like a car with a dead battery or a bad spot on the armature of a starter. The battery tests at 13 volts....help tks tom
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

So what you are hearing is a single loud clack as you set the switch to MANUAL?

The starter is not spinning at all?

The first thing you need to do is to pull the starter and bench test it, or have it tested.

While you have the starter out, also bar the engine to see if it is seized.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sir tk you for your response to my generator problem. one thing that you need to do is to post all levels of difference prices for your advise I had rather to have talked to you for a fee of 24 dollars rather than being charged 5 dollars and then 13 dollars. I feel that there was a little bit of a bait and switch. There is one thing that it has turned out to be is a defective control board. Your advise should have given me all possibilities and at this point I do not feel that I have not gotten good information for my buck....would you consider refunding my account the second charge of 13 dollars.....tks
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.
You never got back with me to let me know if it was the starter or not. I was waiting for your reply. I can not possibly list every possibility at once. That would mean I would have to write an entire book.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

For billing issues, you need to contact customer service.