Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Onan generator on a horse trailer and it will not

Customer Question

I have a Onan generator on a horse trailer and it will not completely start it almost turns over but want stay running I have had a gentleman that works on generators look at it and he has tested everything he knows to do: change oil, filters, spark plug, fuel filters and even took carburetor apart and cleaned it but said it was really not dirty at all the unit does not have many hours on it at all but it is a 2009. Any suggestions on what to try now and we are not getting any code errors now.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: YEs there is fuel and it is getting up to the unit we cleaned the lines and took them off to see the fuel come out of lines.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what it is just trying to avoid a RV dealer at $100 per hour
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset, and is it running on gas or LP?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is gas and let me see if I can get model number
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is the KY-FA26100 RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

There is a letter after the 26100. I have to have that letter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
H
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

OK.

The first thing I need you to do is to remove the air filter.

While cranking the engine, start spraying in some carb cleaner. Do not use starting fluid.

Can you get the engine to start and run on carb cleaner?

Also, you are somewhat unclear here.

Will the engine just not start and run, or will it start and run as long as you hold the start button down, and then quits when you release the button?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That has already been tried It will not run using carb cleaner but will stay running long as you are spraying starting fluid. with out anything the engine will try to start and almost crank then quit.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Starting fluid is very bad for these engines. You really should not be using it.

But if the engine will run on it, then we know it is not getting fuel.

First test the fuel pump to see if it is pumping gas.

If it is not, we need to find out why.

If it is pumping gas, you have a bad carburetor, and it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the starting fluid was only used the one time the fuel pump was tested and fuel does go up to and threw all lines all the way into generator. carburetor looked good not hardly dirty or nothing what would make it bad then?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

On a carburetor, it is usually not what you can see that makes it bad, it is what you can't see. There are a lot of tiny passages drilled throughout the carb that you can not get to at all, and it is usually these passages that get plugged up, because they are so small.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I be getting some kind of error code for this?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

A Spec H genset is not capable of giving error codes. That did not come into play until a much later version of the KY.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok then it must be a P at the end I could not remember if it was H or P because it gives error codes
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

That spec letter is an absolute must have. There are 17 different variations of the KY series units, and they are not all the same.

But if it is a spec p, yes, it should be setting an error code. You may just not be trying to read it correctly.