Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 2004 tiger cub scagg mower. Just replaced the

Customer Question
I have a 2004 tiger...
I have a 2004 tiger cub scagg mower. Just replaced the original battery and have had no problem until recently. When I go to start the mower nothing happens. I can hear a slight "click" near the starter but it doesn't turn over. I "play" with all the wires thinking something is loose but don't know if this helps. One time the starter did turn over and start the tractor but when I get done cutting the grass and put mower away and try starting it the same thing happens- the starter does not work.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: full tanks valve open
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. there is a two week down time at local dealer
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It seems to me like something isn't working at the starter. Is there a relay or something at the starter. I know there are safety devices all over the place
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/17/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 7 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

May have a bad starter solenoid. Try jumping the solenoid and seeing if machine will start or turn over. If not, the starter will need to be replaced. If so, the solenoid part is bad and will need to be replaced. Most of the time it is cheaper to buy them together though. Let me know the outcome.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

the solenoid is attached to starter, can i remove it to get to the bottom terminals to jump it.
Can't remove it to jump. Needs to be attached to starter.
when i jump the solenoid starter the engine does not turn over, all i get is a whinning noise, does that say anything?

Starter is bad and needs replaced.

you are saying when i jump the selonoid the engine should turn over and because it did not the starter is bad? degree of difficulty replacing the starter?

yes, that is correct. Should be 2 bolts holding the starter on and disconnect the wiring

would a new starter come with a new solenoid?

yes it will

i will jon, trying to locate serial numbers for the new starter

what model is the engine? need engine info for starter

JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician