Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

In a newly-purchased Toyota Sunrader, I have an Onan 2.8…

Customer Question
In a newly-purchased Toyota...

In a newly-purchased Toyota Sunrader, I have an Onan 2.8 Microlite. This rig sat unused for quite a while, and I have had a mechanic service the carb, basically cleaning it up, and it ran for him and ran for me briefly after I took it home. By briefly, I mean less than two minutes. Won't start now at all. My local small engine guy (Richmond CA) says he can't work on it unless I remove it for him which I'm not able to do. Ideas on what to do next? I've had to hire more work than I expected on this project, and wonder if there's any probability that I might fix this myself?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Where is the shut-off valve?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The mechanic who looked at it did clean the carb. The fuel should be ok. If there is a gas shut-off valve I don't know where it is. Where could I look?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
3/21/2017
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

go to the Auto/Hardware store and get a bottle of SeaFoam

pour 2-3 oz in the fuel tank run with choke 1/2 on

this will suck it thru the carb to clean the main jet

I hope this helped you

Hi If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

That is the only way I get credit for the question

If you need more info use the INFO button

Not the Poor/Bad service

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This Onan Microlite 2.8 gets gas from the main fuel tank of the Toyota. Do you want me to put this in the main gas tank? As I noted above, the carb has been cleaned up. I'll try it if you say so, but I wanted to clarify that the Onan does not have its own gas tank.

Hi thank you for that

OK, if it comes from the main tank

this complicates the issue a bit

what you have is a jet plugged in the carb

spray cleaners is not going to clean it

I suggest to remove the carb,boil out in a pot of hot water 10-15 min

air dry , then install a rebuild kit

I hope this helped you

Hi If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not the Poor/Bad service

Morning

Just following up with you

did my answer help you

let me know, please