Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 2002 onan 7500 diesel gen. It has been windy and

Customer Question

I have a 2002 onan 7500 diesel gen. It has been windy and very wet here. My genswith is on and the gen makes a sound the same as when you prime in the switch down position. I was thinking that there might be a short from the weather? Can't seem to find a way to isolate the power to the start/prime system until things dry out. Only way now is to shut off chassis battery switch? Thanks Rob
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Wind and rainshould have no effect on this. If the fuel pump stays running, you either have a short in the remote harnesd, or you have a bad controller.

Disconnect the remote harness. If the fuel pump stops, the problem is a short in the harness. If it does not stop, the controller is bad.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Disconected harness and it stopped, will check when weather gets better(blowing rain of course!) Thank you Rob
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Harness located at side of gen, all white wires. Problem started all by itself, was not using genr. Thought weather due to high wind and rain able to directly blow onto connection in genr bay on my rv.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 months ago.

No, everything in there is sealed because of the conditions it has to operate in.