Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Toro Power Clear 418ZE Snow Blower that ran out of

Customer Question

I have a Toro Power Clear 418ZE Snow Blower that ran out of gas. Its (fuel tank) been refilled but I believe the fuel line froze. What can I do to unfreeze the line or trouble shoot. It will not start manually or with the autostart. Pushing the fuel prime button only causes fuel to weep out of the hose.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Can you remove the carburetor float bowl and check it for fuel from the tank line, coming into the carburetr thrugh the needle valve. When you run out of fuel , any debris in tank, either catches in fuel filter, which it may not have, or goes into the carburetor. Do you have fuel filter? It may be where the ice is!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll pull the cover and look.

OK>

I see question is still open, did you get it going?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have drained the fuel tank and ran the fuel through the fuel filter into a tank. It flows from there. I pulled the spark plug and it looks fine as well. When I prime using the bulb more than two times fuel leaks, which I understand to be normal. It still will not start. What should I do now? I'm not sure where the carb is and its definitely in a small area.

Can you put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install spark plug ans see if it will fire?

It it starts and dies, the carburetor has to be the problem!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, I will try that.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it didn't fire up.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
could it be the spark plug? Why would this happen after running the tank dry?

Could be plug, have you changed it? Or the kill switch may be grounding out the spark.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have not changed the plug. I can go get one. How do I test the kill switch?

You test for spark at the plug , by grounding the plug while cranking, looking for spar at the plug tip, it it has spark, it should fire, and shows the kill switch is not grounding the spark, No spark, then you have to remove the kill wire from the switch, and see if you have spark with kill wire removed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Grounding the plug while cranking, do I rest the plug body on the steel motor portion?

Yes, plug has to be touching metal to spark.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No spark

Kill switch ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where is it?

Page # 9 , item 11, goes to the coil # 21. wire to coil needs to be removed and test for spark again. See manual above.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, no spark with kill switch and no spark without kill switch attached. I tried with old spark plug and a new one I just bought from Home Depot. What's next?

Replace the ignition coil!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This just gets better! So could this all have been caused because the tank ran out of gas or is the timing a coincidence?

The coil and the magnet in the flywheel is all that makes the spark!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just bad timing not anything to do with running out of gas?

No, running out of gas does not affect the spark.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, thanks. i'll order the part. stay tuned . . .

OK< sounds good.