Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have installed a Briggs and Stratton 12kw lpg/ng generator

Customer Question

I have installed a Briggs and Stratton 12kw lpg/ng generator it runs rough and is putting out 45 volts to ground and 88 volts phase to phase , it's supplied with a portable propane tank , inlet on generator is 3/4" supply from tank is 1/4" ? Maybe problem ? It also seems to be letting in gas when not running ? There is no harness to connect on this generator and I have correctly turned set screws on carne raptor several times ? Not sure what else to try ?
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Briggs and Stratton 12kw model 040517 120/240 v 50 amp , brand new
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am a licensed electrician and have installed many generators yes I am performing work myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is the second one I have installed and am having similar problem with other unit as well , other unit has harness adaptor for lpg is only difference ?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got generator to run by increasing propane supply line and voltage is up at normal , only problem is propane continues to pour into carberator even when generator is not running ? I have the same problem with other generator ( same model ) that I installed . Shouldn't controlled regulator close valve ?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.

Yes, the shut off solenoid should stop the gas flow when the unit is not running.