Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

MTD snow blower model number 2m1. engine quit suddenly and

Customer Question

MTD snow blower model number 2m1. engine quit suddenly and will not restart. what is the ohms resistive on the coil. I get 10.84 is that out of spec
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: it is a 2008 model with very little use.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes i have the machine apart
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

MTD does not list the specs for your ignition coil, but I can tell you how to check to see if it is producing a spark.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does fire but I'm not sure if it is strong enough to run the engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your response. Have you checked your spark plug?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it has a new spark plug
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Ok. I would like for you to try something for me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up and run briefly. If you do not have carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, remove your spark plug and pour about a teaspoon of gas directly into your spark plug hole, re-install your spark plug, then try starting your engine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i tried that earlier this evening with some gumout but the engine didn't even attempt to start.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Keep in mind that your engine need three things in order to start up and run. Fuel, Spark, and Compression.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Our problem could be compression related ...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
after some research on the net if this engines coil is anything like one on a briggs engine the spec for it is 2-5 ohms. So my mail question was about this machines coil. do you feel that the coil could be defective since it has so much resistance
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I feel that your ignition coil is ok.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Do you see anymore numbers on your engine?

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I need to determine if your engine have overhead valves.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is the overhead valve model sn 161-jw
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for this information. I would remove your valve cover, to see if your valves are opening and closing. If so, check to see if your valve clearances are within specs.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok i will have to check that tomorrow. I would estimate that this snow blower has had no more than 3 hours of total run time so far. it has spent most of its time in a heated garage
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Tomorrow will be fine. Take your time. Process of elimination. Also, remove the small kill wire from your coil, then try starting your engine with the gumout. We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome!