Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

MY 24 HP BRIGGS WILL NOT START IT HAS NEW PLUGS THE COILS

Customer Question

MY 24 HP BRIGGS WILL NOT START IT HAS NEW PLUGS THE COILS HAVE CLEANED IT CRANKED 1 TIME AND BACK FIRED WILL NOT CRANK NEW STARTER TURNS OVER GOOD CHECK PUSH RODS OK?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: YES
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: WHEN I GOT THE MOWER FROM A FRIND THEY HAD TRYED TO JUMP START IT AND THE STARTER WAS NOT ORKING
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

I would like for you to try something for me. If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up and run briefly. If you do not have carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, remove your spark plug and pour about a teaspoon of gas directly into your spark plug hole, re-install your spark plug, then try starting your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Also, if you have a compression tester, or if you can borrow one, check the compression on each cylinder. We need to determine if compression is part of our problem. Although your push rods are ok, your valves could be out of adjustment. Make sure all of your valves are fully opening and closing.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Another thing to check, is your flywheel key. If your flywheel key is sheared, this can prevent your engine from starting. This is rare, but possible.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

You and I can continue from here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have done the above things and it still wont start. i think that before i got the mower they had put jumper cables on it trying to start it may have made a 24 vot out of it the starter was locked when i got looked bad froze up
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a compression tester?