JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I am currently rebuilding the front wheel drive on a Sears

Customer Question

i am currently rebuilding the front wheel drive on a Sears lawn mower 22" cut, model###-##-#### Two part question is what lubricants should I use when reassembling the parts...the spring that on one end fits into the slot of the washer that holds the dog ear while fitting between the retainer & drive gear demand any grease or oil or no and the axle itself need any oil or grease on reassembly & any oil , grease, ect. on the drive gear bearing?
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: make & model are in the message and it is a 1993. 6.75 HP
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i have all parts and just waiting to reassemble upon the lube requirements.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can not think of anything else. The manual has no information other than take it to a Sears specialist...hahahaha
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

I would not put any lubricant on those parts at all. If you do it will only attract dust and dirt that much worse and cause it to stick and not work properly.

The only place that you would need any kind of lubricant is inside the transmission casing itself.

The oil or grease if used will only create more problems for you later on once you have used the machine a few times due to the attraction of dust and grass that will be captured by the oil and grease residue. Adding oil, grease or any kind of lithium based lubricant is not good for those parts, you are better off to assemble them dry with no lubricant or if you feel better about putting something on them you could use a dry graphite lubricant that way it doesn't leave a sticky residue to collect dust and debri.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system provided.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The dry graphite lubricant sounds good but will it get sticky if gets wet from say wet grass or washing periodically?

Not usually, it tends to repel water due to the chemical compound of it but if it gets oil to it then it will soak up the oil and become a paste which would then be bad for that drive system.