Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Troy Belt snowblower that has a broken off key in

Customer Question

I have a Troy Belt snowblower that has a broken off key in the key slot. If I start the snowblower, how do I shut it off? One solution is to get the broken off portion out, then use my spare key to start the machine. Another solution is to pull the spark plug wire every time I want shut the machine off. If I go with the first solution, how do I get the broken off portion of the key out?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since Saturday! We had a blizzard Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in Fairbanks, Alaska.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I see the nuts to take the housing off, but the choke nob is in the way. Does the choke nob come off? I can see the broken off key in the slot still. Should I use a sharp needle to attempt to get the broken off key out of the slot?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You could possibly use a paper clip to fish out the broken key. Just bend the tip of the paper clip in the form of a hook.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Donald, the paper clip idea did not work. I have tried many things! However, the broken key is still in the key slot. How can I take off the housing covering the key slot? The coke nob is in the way. Does the choke nob slip off on the Troy Belt snowblower? The repair shops most likely will be open on Tuesday in Fairbanks, Alaska. For some reason the repair shops were closed on Monday after News Year. Once again, I could leave the broken key part in the slot, then pull the spark plug wire to turn the machine off.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your response. I am back with you. Can you get the model numbers from your snowblower for me? With these numbers I can pull up your snowblower, and give more specific information.