JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Ariens 60 Max. Started it up and drove out of the

Customer Question

I have a Ariens 60 Max. Started it up and drove out of the garage, I heard a clunk and it stalled. It barely turns over about a half a turn. Like it has back pressure. The back wheels are tied up. And I can't release them with the release levers.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I have fuel in the tank, the mower has hydraulic back pressure.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Maybe,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think it is the pump, but I don't know. It is only 3.5 years old. And I am the original owner, and it has always been garage kept. It only has 62 hours on the hour meter. I have changed the oil every 20 hours, and the hydraulic oil is still clear.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you manually turn the engine over by hand? Will it turn all the way around when you do so?

Take a look up under the rear of the machine and make certain that everything looks okay. I have seen belts come loose or off of pulleys and cause this or bolts come loose and allow things to move which could cause a strain on the engine and not let it turn over.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are no belts this is a direct drive

There are at least two belts on this machine one for the hydrostat drive and one for the mower deck. I am including a picture of the two belts from the parts manual for a 60" Ariens Max mower.

I have another picture here.

Try this one again.

I am sorry the parts manual for this machine is actually showing three belts.

One for the hydro drive and two for the mower deck.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks I will check this out before I go any further.

If you don't find any issues with the belts sometimes you can remove the belts from the engine pulley and it will help you to determine where the problem is at. Once you remove the load of the belts and other parts turning then the engine may turn easier.

I am afraid that based on what you have described you may have a broken connecting rod but I would check other external possibilities before taking the engine apart. Make certain that all belts are in good condition and not broken which could allow them to get wound up into the engine pulley and cause it to not turn freely.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you. If you need additional assistance feel free to come back here and continue our conversation.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system provided.