Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

In the past two weeks my weekly test did not run. Control…

Customer Question
In the past two...

In the past two weeks my weekly test did not run. Control panel says RPM issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just the last two weeks. The generator runs manually but will not function in automatic mode

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Generac 7KW propane whole house generator

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can, I'm pretty handy and my son is an electrician

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just trying to figure out why the panel light forrpm issue is on

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Small Engine
12/30/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 5 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

OK.

ON this unit. let's try to reset the controller first.

Set the swith to OFF.

Remove the fuse from the control panel.

Disconnect the negative battery cable for 1 minute.

Reinstall the battery cable.

Put the fuse back in.

Set the switch to MANUAL, and start the genset. Let it run for 1 or 2 minutes.

Set the switch to OFF, and wait 5 seconds.

Then set the switch to AUTO.

Set the exercise timer. Be sure to let the unit run through a complete cycle.

Let me know if this does not take care of it.

I'll try and let you know how I make out.
Thx

Ok.

I did what was instructed. It ran the cycle so I'll have to wait until next Saturday at11am to see if it truly worked. Thanks for your help I'll let you know.

Ok.