Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I can not get Craftsman garden tractor started. I have drain

Customer Question

I can not get Craftsman garden tractor started. I have drain old gas put in new replaced fuel pump changed spark plug checked air filter, and oil have a new battery. what else can I do , carburetor does not seem to be getting gas or it i place gasoline in carburetor it does not start
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yesBecause locally it will be a month before they can look at it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

How long has it been since your engine last started up, and continued to run?

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You and I need to determine if our problem is fuel related, or if it is ignition related. If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up and run briefly.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

If your engine does not start up, then our problem is very likely ignition related. Are you familiar with checking to see if you are getting spark to your spark plug?

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Ignition Check - Click Here

Open the link above, then scroll to Image #7. This shows a good method to use for checking for spark. The engine in the image is not identical to your engine, but the process for checking for spark is the same.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They have some safety features on the tractor one on the seat and other one on the brake. The reason why I wonder about that is the carburetor seem shut down. I do no know how to check those or what they look like, also i am not familiar with the parts of the carburetor. It has a Kohler engine. Do you have anything that would help me with the carburetor?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

If you can get the model and spec numbers for your engine, I can get some carburetor information for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The model number###-##-####Kohler engine-model number CV730, type number 0029
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this information. I will get you some information relating to your carburetor. I believe your carburetor may not be the actual source of our problem, because an engine should start up and run briefly, if you spray carburetor cleaner or starting fluid, directly into your carburetor, even if your carburetor is bad.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I posted some carburetor information in the link above.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would it help to order a fuel shutdown solenoid. The safety switches on the seat and brake how do they stop the engine? How do I check to see if that is the problem?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a multimeter?

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I don't believe a fuel shut off solenoid is the solution. That part is sort of expensive.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a multimeter.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Your safety switches can be tested with your multimeter. Set your meter for continuity check. If your engine will spin, after you turn your ignition switch to start position, then it is very likely that your brake safety switch is ok.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Check your switches as follows:

Seat Safety Switch

• with plunger on your switch depressed you should not have continuity.
  • with plunger released you should have continuity.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Your Brake Safety Switch is a dual circuit switch. It has your Start Circuit and your Kill Circuit. The procedure for checking it, is the same as for checking your seat safety switch.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Have you already tried checking for spark to your spark plug?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have my tractor running now . I take out shut off solenoid sprayed with carburetor cleaner after taking it apart, and put it back together. The tractor started right up. Thanks for your good advice.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all continues to go well for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

When you have an opportunity, please take a moment to rate my answer. Thanks again!