Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 2008 Dixie Chopper Classic 2760 with a 27hp Generac

I have a 2008 Dixie Chopper Classic 2760 with a 27hp Generac engine, has 494 hours, has been running great. Yesterday, while mulching leaves on my lawn, engine died. Checked fuel, oil, spark, etc., all OK. Engine will restart but only run a few minutes then shut off again. It is losing spark. I think I am a pretty good mechanic and decided to go ahead and change oil, drained all the fuel, cleaned fuel tanks, installed new fuel filters, new vacuum fuel pump, installed all new fuel lines, charged battery, etc. I believe I have a short somewhere in wiring harness, Dixie Chopper manual that I have has a crap wiring diagram. When I connect negative battery cable to battery the relay clicks/energizes with the key switch off, I removed key switch and still relay clicks/energizes, installed new relay. Also low oil pressure alarm beeps with key switch off/removed. I unhooked oil pressure switch which of course stops alarm. My question is: the relay should not click/energize with key off? You agree? I haven't had time to diagnose wiring yet but plan to trace it all down. Again, Dixie Chopper manual's wiring diagram is a joke. What do you think?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: No, has run perfect. Has great compression, never a problem. I did powerwash the hell out of the entire mower the day before any problem. My question is that the relay should not energize with out the key switch even plugged into harness when I hook up battery.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I will rewire the entire machine mayself if necessary.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: My question is that the relay should not energize with key off, I have the key switch removed from harness.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

I totally agree. Your relay should not energize when your ignition switch is in off position. It definitely should not energize if you disconnect your wiring connector from your ignition switch. An energized relay will drain your battery, when your engine is not running, as you and I both know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Donald! When I purchased the new relay at the parts store the owner asked me what my problem was, after I explained why I wanted to replace the relay, he tried to convince me that was a normal condition for the relay to energize with the key switch in the off position. As I have yet had time to finish the diagnosis of my Dixie Chopper wiring harnesses I thought I would consult an expert to re-assure myself that I was correct. Again, thanks man! I am sure that I will find the short when I get time to unravel the harness.

Awesome! With your experience, you will find it. I would love to know what your findings are, after you have resolved this problem. I do hope all goes well for you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Donald, I've been very busy but I finally figured out what my problem was. Back in 2008 when I purchased this Dixie Chopper I had unhooked the seat safety switch leads and jumped them together to eliminate the machine shutting down when bouncing on the seat and so I could get off the machine and leave the engine running. I know this can be dangerous for some but I am the only operator and know how to operate safely. Little did I know that jumping the seat switch way back then does energize the relay in the wiring to make the seat switch hot even with key switch "off". After 8 years of bouncing around, the jumper wire I used to short the seat switch had frayed and was making intermittent contact causing the machine to shut down. I feel kind of stupid that his happened to me. Anyways, I have eliminated the relay seat safety switch circuit completely by just removing the relay. Machine runs great again. I have attached a pdf file of the wiring on my machine for you to see if interested. I had never experienced any problems with the battery draining as I always keep mower plugged in to a good battery tender when not in use. Dixie Chopper could do a much better job of providing a wiring diagram for their various machines but I made my own for future reference. One can always learn something. Thanks again.

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing your results and for the information you attached for me to view. I will save it for future reference. Your understanding of dc wiring paid off for you. I do hope all continues to go well for you.