Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at Rhode Island Harvesting Co
96417199

I have a Toro Wheel horse 416-H with an Onan engine. The

Customer Question

I have a Toro Wheel horse 416-H with an Onan engine. The starter engages, but only flicks the flywheel and eventually spins and starts. Previous owner probably installed wrong starter. The model and spec on the cowling is P216G-/10976C, serial # H893585521 The numbers on the starter are scratched off. It has 5/16" mounting bolts that are 2 inches apart, has 9 cogs for the driver. Looks to need a bigger diameter driver with 11-12 cogs?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Starting is not the problem, the starter engages but is not have enough grab on the flywheel, grabs 1/16 of an inch at best if that.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, does not look like a replacement starter on the internet so I may need to machine the starter and move it in 1/8 th of an inch
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is there another starter with a larger diameter drive sprocket that you know of?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bill McCusker replied 11 months ago.

Hello Welcome to just answers. my name is ***** ***** me see if i can help you.

I have a onan parts catalog for your engine it does show two types of starters. http://gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Onan_P216G_P218G_P220G_Parts_Catalog_19981000.pdf

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bill,
Two completely different starters with different drive gear teeth. The starter I have is the only one that fits, so what is the problem. An old guy back home said to check the flywheel and sure enough he was right. It is worn down where the starter gear impacts the flywheel. Solution, without poring a lot of money into an old machine. The flywheel needs to be taken off and flipped around to provide more meat for the drive gear to engage. Flywheel needed to be heated up evenly to expand and allow it to come off. The Toro now starts properly.

Ok good luck.