Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Toro PowerMax 724 OE 2015 Snowblower. I believe I

Customer Question

I have a Toro PowerMax 724 OE 2015 Snowblower. I believe I have stale gas that is preventing me fro starting my machine. I would like to drain the gas from the tank. Is there an easy way to do this/
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes fuel is in the tank and it has been there unused for about 6 months. Shut off is open and was open since last use.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that should do it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You can remove the fuel hose from your carburetor, then drain your fuel into a suitable container.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You can also remove the bolt from the bottom of your carburetor. I am referring to the bolt that secures your fuel bowl to the bottom of your carburetor. After you remove the bolt, your gas will drain through the hole in your fuel bowl.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You and I can continue from here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I get at the fuel hose to the carburetor
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I am back with you. Is your engine a Briggs and Stratton 205cc?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is 205cc
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for this information. Please take a look at the image below.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

It shows the area of your engine, where your fuel hose and your carburetor, is located.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I am also attaching a link to some additional information that is helping.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to take a break from working on the engine. Got back at it today. Still not running. I got the gas drained, pulled the bowl and float from the carburetor and cleaned them. Put it back together and tried running it. I will start with the electric start and somewhat run if I keep pumping the primer. I checked the plug and it seems that if I do not pump the primer there is no gas getting to the plug. I presume that is why I have to continue forcing gas into the carburetor. It just seems gas is not getting in there. I have now pulled the filter/screen in front of the carburetor, it appears it is gummed up in there. First any ideas why it is not getting gas? Second can I use a spray carburetor cleaner on this engine?
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

If your engine still will not run, even with fresh gas, then you will need to give your carburetor a really good cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I would soak it first, then use a small wire and carburetor cleaner to clean every small hole you see in your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Follow up with some compressed air ...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I do it with a spry carburetor cleaner and can I do it without taking the carburetor off?
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You can try it first without removing your carburetor. Just remove your fuel bowl and use spray carburetor cleaner, to clean your fuel bowl, and the underside of your carburetor. If this does not work for you, then you will need to perform the steps I posted above.