Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor with a single cylinder CV15s

I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor with a single cylinder CV15s engine that won't start when hot. The starter and solenoid are new. The starter wil not spin the engine until the sparkplug is removed allowing the engine to turn over. It will then start. Any ideas?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Do you have any better ideas?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Does this engine have a compression release?

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Yes the engine does but some kohler engines have hydraulic lifters so the valves can't be adjusted . Let me pull the service manual

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Go ahead.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please continue typing your answer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where is the compression release located?
On the briggs it's on the cam , I want to say kohler is the same
Here is the link to your service manual , it's to large for me to attach and sendhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2339_d.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjO5P3pm6HQAhUB5yYKHZA_A8IQFggpMAI&usg=AFQjCNGJhqNhDgupqcibcBImJYb1L8bsRg
I'm going to check on the valves etc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine runs sweet after starting. Could the lifters be the cause?
it seems it can't get past the initial compression stroke . Reading your post does this only happen when it's hot ?
You valves look to be adjustable , look on page 11.8 under reassembly

Hi just seeing if you got the valves adjusted ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I decided to say the hell with it. If I start it with a full tank of gas I can complete my work without stopping the engine. Ill worry about it in the spring.

Ok well if you need any other help please let me know. Also please don't forget to rate my service using the stars provided. Thanks