Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Have a Deere f525 that I finally got to start. However

Customer Question

Have a John Deere f525 that I finally got to start. However someone had took the main engine fuse wires out of the fuse block and just put slip ends on the wires and plugged to fuse. I put a fuse holder on the wires and it melts it. I had thought the wires were awfully hot even before I did this. It takes a lot to start the engine and the alt light or battery light stays on. Is this cause by a diode letting the current back into the fuse. Cannot run it this way. Help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I don't know much about your mower but I have the repair manual and can send a link. See the electrical section for diagnosis and repair.https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqvmPfzg3ifP5EcBbaUxccFeuMJP

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a manual, but that's not telling me what would cause a fuse to melt
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you think it could be the regulator rectifier. One wire goes to switch and other to the rectifier
Expert:  Vince O. replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure and thought the manual would guide you through the diagnosis and test procedures. Do you have the same manual as link I sent?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 8 months ago.

I can't be of much more help and will opt out. Good luck

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** you are still in need of assistance, I will be happy to work with you.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

You stated: "Someone had took the main engine fuse wires out of the fuse block and just put slip ends on the wires and plugged to fuse".

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Did your fuse either blow or get hot, when it was attached directly to the slip ends on your wires?

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

When a fuse gets hot, the problem is usually caused by a loose connection, corrosion, or a bad wire in your fuse holder, rather than a short in your circuit. A short would cause your fuse to blow.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The whole wires at fuse were getting very hot, enough to burn a blister. There are no loose connections on this 2 wire circuit. 1 goes directly to ignition switch the other goes directly to rectifier regulator. I assume it's the charging system
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Does your fuse get hot when your ignition switch is off, or only when your ignition switch is on? Does your fuse blow, or does it only get hot? Are you familiar with wiring schematics?

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Disconnect the connector from your rectifier regulator.