Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a kohler courage SV470-610. how far out should the

Customer Question

I have a kohler courage SV470-610. how far out should the valve guides be from the head? the intake is about 1/2" and the exhaust is about an inch. I ask because the the starter will not spin the motor when under compression. spins fine with the plug out and the battery charged.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just recently. worked one day and a couple of weeks later when it was needed again it would not spin under compression
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not sure of your question.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Page 86 in the manual above shows the guide depth. the guides are at different depths.

Run a voltage test on the battery/starter when cranking. Does voltage drop below 8 volts? Drop below 8 volts, shows battery, cable, or starter to be fault.