Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an exmark metro 48 walk behind mower, it is belt

Customer Question

I have an exmark metro 48 walk behind mower, it is belt driven whenever I try to put it in gear or engage the pto it stalls i am suspecting some type of safety switch, but i don't know where to look for the switch. the spindles rotate manually without a problem runs fine with brakes on and in neutral
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: its an exmark metro 48'' with a Kawasaki engine probably 8-10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it is something that isn't too difficult, yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: recently i noticed a slight hesitation when i would engage the pto. after the hesitation, it would operate normally
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Model number? Usually the handle switches, one or both, or the harness that connects them, is what kills engine when you engage the blades. Mower thinks the operator is not there!