Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Can you check tranny fluid level without removing it?

Customer Question
can you check tranny fluid level without removing it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
11/4/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

You can add fluid, but there is no oil level or drain plug shown. See manual link above. Remove the fill plug, and add about a cup of 15W50 engine oil.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. That answered my question. Not sure how this works, but, I gave a description of my issue. Slow up hills. Upon reading things a possibility is tranny fluid. Manual says it's a sealed system ! I got the link you sent. Your saying I can check/and fluid to tranny without removing it ? I am trying to cover any/all possibilities in regards ***** ***** issue. I said I order 2 parts but do not know if they are also a possibility. Do you know what those parts do ? Just looked in manual to see anything that my relate to lose of power up hill. Am I limited to just my question or am I entitled to other info and possibilities to solve my problem ?

You can get to the fill port on top. You may have to use a funnel with tube, or a lube pump. If transmission is low on oil, it may help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's it ? No other possibilities? No answer to the other parts I ordered as to ther function? Are you saying that you only answer "the question" ? I was anticipating help and info on my issue. That's why I paid.

Sorry, I din't address the spring. The spring is only to keep the drive belt tight. If belt is tight, then it has to be the transmission. If belt is loose, then the spring is can cause loose belt, and slipping drive.

Is drive belt tight with clutch/brake released? It should be, with no slippage on the pulleys.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which spring are you talking about ? I gave 2 part #'s. I am NOT in front of tractor. When you say 'loose with clutch/brake released' , do you mean idling, with shift in neutral, just waiting to move in forward/ reverse ? The manual is what I'm looking at, the part###-##-####does not show exactly where it goes. Just assumed I would see it when I get home. Are you saying the belt should be tight when brake is disengaged ? That spring will tighten it if loose? What does other spring do ? The one at the speed control. I am not an engine guy, but try to be logical in my thinking....doesn't always work !

Engine OFF, clutch/brake not pushed in. Belt should be tight. The larger spring is the clutch return spring, it adds tension to the pedal, to bring pedal up. Does pedal return, or does it stick down? Spring would raise pedal up.

the larger spring # 55 in parts list, would affect belt tightness.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now this is just getting silly !!!!!! Please read what I write. I am not trying to be difficult here, possibly you are! I already ordered those parts ! If you are done 'helping me' just say so.

?? not sure what else I can add.?? Check belt, if belt is tight, add fluid to transmission!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Done. Not satisfied. Like pulling teeth. Would like refund, if not, review will reflect my feeling. You only added thoughts after repeating things I already asked. Never answered simple question about other part I ordered.

You question was can I check trany fluid? No. But you can add!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician