Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a model 1515 Cub Cadet. It will not start. No power

Customer Question
to spade wire at solenoid...
I have a model 1515 Cub Cadet. It will not start. No power to spade wire at solenoid. I tested the brake switch. It works in both modes normally open and and normally closed according to the diagram. I suspect the pto switch, but can't figure out how to test it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
11/2/2016
Technician: Bill McCusker, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic

Hello welcome to Just Answers My name is***** try to Solve this together. Is it electronic pto or manual?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is electrical (switch on console.)

are you using a volt meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a test light.

ok.. So the best way is to just replace it.. But i would check the seat switch 1st. the pto switch is hard to jump its easy to just replace it..

the key switch is that new or good?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing personal here, but I am trying to make a correct diagnosis. Anyone can just replace parts. Thank you.

I understand.. but this is why i asked if the key switch is good?

How many spades does the pto switch have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By your questions of late, it is clear to me that you don't have a wiring diagram. If you did you wouldn't ask how many terminals are on the various switches, you would know.Please forward my thread to another tech.
Thank you

I will share with you what i have for a wire diagram provided by the model number you have given.

http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/MTD/1515_1517.pdf

Its not a really good electrical diagram.

I will opt out.. Good luck

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Power for the spade terminal on the solenoid comes from the keyswitch. Do you have power to the keyswitch end of the wire? If not, then .yes , you have a safety switch, not completing the ground side of the circuit. If you do have battery voltage, at the key switch end, the wire from key to solenoid is damaged . You do have power to the key from the fused wire?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to get a diagram. The power on this model comes via a orange wire at pto to solenoid. I ordered a pto switch.

oK> Let's see how that works!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll let you know

Thanks! On later models, the power never goes through the safety switches, just completes the ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you saying that the orange w/white stripe going to the solenoid ia really a ground wire? Confused.

Solenoid has two small wires? Or just one? two small wires, one has to be ground, one small wire, the solenoid has to be grounded.

Can you attach schematic?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just one.

So it has to come from key, through pto switch? And the solenoid body has to be grounded to the frame.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On this one the power goes through the brake switch to pto switch and then to solenoid.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you can pull up the diagram, you will see. it.

I don't see any diagram that is helpful. I thought you had found one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have it. I'm trying to convert the contents.

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you will give me your email address, I will send a copy to you.

There is an attaching link on the customer end typing bar. On my end it is a tree or paperclip icon.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IS THAT ON THE EMAIL, OR THE RESPONSE PAGE? i DON'T SEE IT.

response page

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see it. Can you cut and paste it on your reply?

Getting files from customers

1. To the left of the Send button, customers will see an "+ Add Files" link. Customers will click on that link and select file(s) that they'd like to share with you.

2. After the selected file has fully uploaded, the uploaded file will be shown below the message box. Customers can add multiple files at once.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried that already. Their software cannot open the file.

Where did you find schematic, maybe I can access it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/769-02100/769-02100.pdf

Page 86?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Diagrams are on 83 and 84.

Orange and black,, through the moiniter. Is there voltage from the B , terminal on keyswitch when held in start, the orange wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

B -S and A1 on keyswitch have to be energized for start. PTO switch will not do it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the ign switch is bad?

I don't know, volt/ohm meter could determine that, check the three terminals on keyswitch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there should be continuity between the 3 terminals in start?

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was difficult to test on the tractor
So I pulled it off for a bench test
I am getting continuity on each of the three terms b s a1

Then it checks good. B would have battery voltage from the fused wire from solenoid. S is the orange wire to the switch terminal on the starter solenoid, (orange,white)and the A 1 is accessory power to the alternator and fuel solenoid. Is there 12 volts to the B terminal when in dash?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2.66V at B terminal in #2 pos. and in start.

B should be 12 volts! Trace back and see why it is too low!

comes direct from the positive side of the starter solenoid.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician